Thursday, May 29, 2014

Capital Hill! and Top Chef! and Local Resturants Part IV!

I did it!
Its been about six months since I've been in DC proper. I haven't been back to Capital Hill since May 2011 when I moved my stuff out of that house.
But Tuesday that all changed. My boss asked three of us who are among the most senior at work to take a young kid who he had in for an interview out for lunch and give him the run down about the DMV (DC/MD/VA) and answer any questions he may have.

Of course one of the guys lives in Capital Hill and knows all the good restaurants there and he offered to drive so that's where we headed- I fought myself to say we should go somewhere else because I knew it was beyond time I went back- anything to help me finish moving on.

So we hit up Good Stuff Eatery.













One of three restaurants owned and operated by none other than Spike Mendelsohn of Top Chef fame!! Yep- that guy- the one in the hat- the one everyone loved to hate. He also owns the two places right next door. We The Pizza and Bearnaise.

So Good Stuff is mainly burgers- although they also have salads- but as the saying goes- that's like going to a steakhouse and ordering chicken.
I had the Good Stuff Melt. Muenster and cheddar, caramelized onions and mushrooms (hold the onions on mine) and good stuff sauce (which is a a mix of mayo, molasses, ketchup and vinegar). The burger was so tender and the cheese so melty and good and I've never done muenster with mushrooms but-yum!
But the best part- bar none.....





















Yes. That is indeed exactly what you're guessing and hoping it might be. Toasted Marshmallow Milkshake. With real toasted marshmallows on top. OMGoodness. Dessert heaven. And I don't even usually like marshmallows!!


So all in all. a successful trip to within 5 blocks of where I was robbed. We drove within a single block of where it happened. I looked down the street and pointed it out and felt almost nothing. Maybe because I was starving and there with two friends/coworkers and a interviewee whom I needed to look like an adult in front of, or maybe because I'm finally healing. I think the time was right though. And even if it hadn't been the right time- it was so worth it for that milkshake and to finally go to a top chef contestant owned restaurant!! I LOVE that show! And I've come out of the whole thing with a little more sense of peace about my whole ordeal.

No comments:

Post a Comment