Monday, April 15, 2013

When to take the next step?

New Job. Moving..... Soonish?

So as I happily proclaimed just a few months ago MBM moved back home in January. Home of course being Richmond, while I am still here in Arlington. And trust me when I say- the 108ish mile drive each weekend is already quite old. We've both agreed we would rather live somewhere around Richmond than here in Nova, and Im sure it quite obvious from my blog that I don't feel safe here anymore, and Im not all that fond of the area anymore either (mostly b/c we have the worst traffic in the world, and an abundance of imbeciles).
From: Washington, DC To: Richmond, VA

So at what point do I decide that enough is enough and begin the trek towards finding a new job and moving south?

Here's my dilemma. 
I have been working at my current job for 6 years as of this June, but this past October-January there was a ditch I had to cross- where I thought I might be forced to find new employment early. (you may remember my previous post How do you know when its time to Bolt!?). The client I was working for was out of money, everyone else in our department wasn't doing much better and even some of the federal employees were scrambling to get their salaries covered. It took 2 months of me stretching out the little work left I had to do, and a month of me working at our corporate office for my boss to find me a new client (who actually has a boon of funding). The change was fantastic- I moved to a new department, and began working on a couple of new cutting edge research projects, as well as a high profile sensor testing project. Its what I thrive on- new projects, new things to learn... although I have to say its a chemistry heavy set of work and I miss the biology.
I've been in this position now for only 3 months. My boss took extra time out to work with the client to get him to pick me up, with both of them expecting I would stay at least through the end of the project (FY'14 begins October 1st, although the sensor project goes through November 4thish) as was my intention.

So I made the mistake the other day of going on Indeed and looking at what kinds of things were going to be available in the areas around Richmond. I knew of course that it would be alot slimmer pickings than I could current find here in the DC/MD/VA tech savvy area. I did not however expect to find something that fit what I want and my skills like a glove (granted they say they'd prefer a PhD, but they do have M.S. with 5+ years experience as the qualification). I thought cool! I will keep this place in mind when I go to look for a new position this fall. But of course I made another mistake. I told MBM. He thinks I need to apply now. He believes that with the job market the way it is, that you have to jump on things whenever you find them, that you cannot try to plan this out cause then you risk there not being anything available.
Sigh. I know he's right to a degree (I try not to be so pessimistic), but I would feel like Im letting everyone down if I leave now. I would feel like I screwed people over and left them in a lurch trying to find someone to replace me (which I like to think with my skill set, would not be so easy to do).

And so is the internal battle waging inside me. 

Not helping- I turned 29 this weekend, MBM turns 30 on the 24th. Which makes me think it's more than time to finally get a move on with my life. Everyone I know is either 1. Buying a house and/or 2. Getting Married and/or 3. Having kids... and some are doing all of the above. But none of those things are going to happen till I get the heck outta dodge.

2 comments:

  1. So exciting about this new opportunity in the Richmond area! I say, definitely apply/consider it- what harm will it do (especially if you aren't happy in your geographic location right now)? You never know what's going to happen in life so if you know you want to get out of the area and your goal is the Richmond area, then go for it!
    I totally agree with you on those 3 things everyone seems to be doing in life right now and it's so annoying (even though I love all my friends/fam hahah)!!
    Good luck with whatever you decide to do, I know you will have great family/friends support no matter where you are :)


    ps I changed the link to my blog!
    http://hokieesq.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I have been considering it. I just hate the feeling that I would be letting people down even though I know it is probably the right step for me. Damn Guilt.
    I agree, I love them all, but it is annoying! and thanks for letting me know about the change!

    ReplyDelete