Monday, March 25, 2013

Those who trespass against us

Just in time for Easter LOL.

This prayer hit a chord within me-


Its the "Forgive those who Trespass Against Us" part that really hit me.

I felt unsure about saying it because I didnt think (still am not sure) if I could ever forgive those who robbed me. They took away more than physical things that were mine- I could care less about those compared with my sense of peace and security- which I have still not regained.
I asked a priest about this- Forgive those who trespass against us!? But Father- what if there is something that has been done to you which you just cannot seem to forgive?

He told me it takes time, and it is something we may struggle with all of our lives, but that bitterness against these people is the work of the Devil and if we are always trying to find a way to forgive then we are working towards good, towards what God would want. If He can forgive us all for all of our sins then surely I could find a way to forgive two strangers of the wrong they committed against me. I do not know their situation, or anything about why they made the choice to do this to me.

I guess my problem is Ive turned it into a choice. At this stage its more that I dont want to forgive them. Forgiveness has become synonymous with pretending it didnt happen and theres no way in my mind that I can let such an injustice occur. I know, it's something else I need to work on.

There is an old saying- "hate the sin not the sinner". But how in this type of situation do you separate the two?

No comments:

Post a Comment