Monday, September 24, 2012

The day of surprising emails

Last tuesday apparently was the day for surprises. One maybe good and One ... not completely good. Both kinda shocked me.

(Potentially) Good News first.
I got an email from the professor I've already interview with out at the University of Michigan. His second round of trying to find someone for the position must not have gone so well- insufficient decent applicants or no one held a candle to my experience (I don't know but I like to pretend its the latter!).
He also apparently has come across some additional funding since we last spoke and I had to turn down the job because of salary. He wanted to know if I was still looking (YES), and still interested (YES).
So  I asked what the offer was and he said he'd get back to me by the end of the week or weekend.... here it is Monday and nothing yet. Im waiting impatiently, and trying not to get my hopes up too much- the original offer wasn't too far off from what I wanted, so I've really got my fingers crossed that he makes enough of a jump!

And on to the not so good news.
The first of my college friends to get married.... the ones who have been together for over 12 years married for almost 7 have decided to separate. (Disclaimer- they are apparently in mutual agreement about making this huge step in their lives- he was deployed and they decided they liked their lives better as individuals than together as a couple).
Holy Hell!! I mean I always figured I would eventually have a good friend who got divorced, but Im not even married and my friends have started divorcing already. Its kinda shocking. Especially since they've been together for this long. We talked about it this weekend and they always were very different people, and since they've been together so long they never got the chance to figure out who they were as individuals at an adult stage, so I guess in that way it makes sense....
I guess it just makes me shaky. I absolutely do not ever want to get divorced. I want what every girl wants- true love. Like my parents have- they still flirt and tease and love each other unconditionally (even though they both will complain about small things from time to time- which is completely normal) even after 33 years. I know it won't always be easy- its something I'm absolutely willing to work at though. But seeing friends who I thought loved each other that much say oh no we've decided we don't love each other that way anymore- kinda jars your psyche a bit.

The boyfriend and I base our relationship on love, trust, faith and honesty. We have also been through good and bad relationships as adults which I think helps us a lot in our expectations and knowing how to handle things, but it also means we have a bit more baggage to deal with. I like think were on the right track though. I mean- we have spent over 18.5 days on the phone and Skype over the past 10 months, sent over 4100 text messages and have had too numerous of emails and gmail chats to count. We've got the communication thing down pat- sensitive subjects and all. Next step- doing the same thing in person.... just as soon as a job in Michigan comes through.

No comments:

Post a Comment