Thursday, September 6, 2012

Escalation of Crime

Its been a year and almost 3 months since I was robbed. I find myself thinking about it frequently in the past couple of weeks. Maybe thats the two trips to Detroit talking-OR maybe its the increasing frequency of crime in DC.


D.C. police are trying to find out if two late-night attacks in the same Capitol Hill neighborhood are connected.
In both cases, the men were robbed and beaten on North Carolina Avenue SE, near Eastern Market.
The latest incident happened around 2:30 a.m. Tuesday. The victim, who was attacked by two men, was able to walk home and call police.
"It makes me feel very unsafe," said local resident Victoria Rodrigues. "[It's] really insane in this area, the amount of crime that's been happening lately... You assume when you move here that it's a nice area. You can see the Capitol building."
The latest incident occurred just a few blocks from where 29-year-old Thomas Maslin was nearly beaten to death a few weeks ago. Maslin was found on a porch of a house after lying outside for nearly eight hours.
Since the attacks, police increased patrols in the area. Police are also investigating to see if the same men are responsible for both attacks.
Matthew Marriott, 27, told News4's Jackie Bensen he was assaulted and robbed of a cellphone in the fall in broad daylight near Eastern Market. Now he wonders if he should have pushed the matter further when police explained the attack as a gang initiation.
Sounds rather familiar huh!? Marriott's experience rings a bell or three- Mine was just a little worse than  his and the police didnt try to explain it off... Neighbors in the area said nothing of this kind had happened there in 8-10 years- guess that means my robbery was just the beginning of what seems to be an escalation of crime in the area- in both frequency and severity. And this isnt the first time Ive read about increasing crime in DC and especially the Eastern Market neighborhood. It makes me even more glad that I cut and run when I had the chance.
Dealing with these things is never easy. I still sleep with the door to the apartment not just locked but with a latch across it as well and then go to the extra precaution of locking my bedroom door and sleeping with a nightstick under my pillow (oh dear!- the extremes we go to in order to try and feel safe). I think it's my proximity that keeps me in this state of paranoia. Im fine in Orange and in Richmond and even in Southfield (outside of Detroit)... there are other explanations for that- being with family having my boyfriend nearby and being on the 10th floor of an apartment building versus the first respectively- but I still think getting away from DC is a huge factor as well.

.... Now if only I could find a good job in Michigan to get me away from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment